Patreon MUSICARTA Premium
Pentatonic Hanon Exercises
~ PentHan 10-04-19 ~
These web pages host the Pentatonic Hanon video performances and exclusive Musicarta Patreon Tier One music manuscript and teaching notes.
You can discover more about pentatonic scales and pentatonic music in general via the Musicarta Pentatonics home page.
Pentatonic Hanon 10-04-19
Here is the MS for Pentatonic Hanon 10-04-19, Set One.
This is the minor pentatonic with one chromatic tone (sharp 4/flat 5). As per Musicarta convention, this note is spelled according to direction of travel and to avoid naturals where possible.
Apart from the leap to this middle note from the tonic above or below, all movement is by step (to next-door pentatonic scale-tone: check you understand this NOW!).
Learn in this order:
- Learn the right hand in one key first.
- Learn the left hand (first line/rhythm only).
- Play these hands together.
The first LH note is delayed for effect - but then it has to come in up to speed (and in unison) instantly.
- Repeat the above three steps for the exercise in D minor.
- Repeat the above three steps for the exercise in E minor.
The fingering given in the first key works in the new keys unless replaced.
Then the second line LH. The scale is minor pentatonic plus #4/b5 - exactly as before but stretched out. Count off the right hand quavers to see where they come, exactly.
- Practice the second lines. You can easily adapt the last LH run to repeat the line.
When your performance in all three keys is secure,
- Play the three-key set continuously.
- Work up Set Two in as much detail as you need.
If you're continually grinding to a halt, STOP AND GO BACK to a simpler
task. It's all practice! The methodical tortoise beats show-off hare in the
end, as you know!
Thanks for studying with Musicarta
- Come back soon! -